Looking for a way to interact with people, learn amazing facts, and spend time with exotic animals all in one day? Come join the Docent Program at the Hattiesburg Zoo. In this program, volunteers will act as a guide to guests and inform them of various Zoo activities while enriching their experience with fascinating animal facts. For more information on how to become a Docent, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 601-545-4576.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Acting on Zoo grounds as a guide to guests, informing them of Zoo activities and orienting them to various exhibits
- Providing interpretive opportunities, activities and events on grounds, such as exhibit explanations to guests
- Delivering lessons for school groups, scout groups, tour groups, camps, etc. on and off grounds
- Assisting Zoo staff with special events held on grounds
- Handling animal artifacts for programs on and off grounds with occasional animal handling
- Must be at least 16 years old
- Must be in school, recently graduated (less than 2 years), or retired
- Must be able to work and communicate well with others
- Must be able to volunteer a minimum average of 4 hours every two weeks
- Must complete exhibit training and quizzes with a passing grade of 85% on each quiz.
- Must participate in continuing education as required
- Must pass a background investigation
- Be able to work for at least 6 months
DOCENTS SHOULD BE PREPARED TO:
- Interact with visitors on a regular basis
- Be on their feet for extended periods of time
- Be outdoors for extended periods of time
- Work closely and cooperatively with others
- Work around potentially dangerous wild animals in a controlled environment
Email email@example.com to schedule your first training.